BLAH!
Tuesday, June 01, 2004
 
Peter Pan Pondering
To my knowledge, most people haven’t read the actual book of Peter Pan. It’s the greatest trick of Disney, and the greatest proof of the power of films. Everyone thinks they know the story, but few actually do. We all have this Disney-fied version of the children’s tale. Something that’s been boiled down, simplified. It’s a soggy, wet drizzly kind of tale. The plot is basic and the moral is glib. The boy who never grows up, and the importance of being an adult. That’s not what pan was ever really about. The books is essentially an extension of the way that women were/are treated. Think about it…wendy is made become the mother of a bunch of children that she doesn’t want. Peter Pan becomes their father, all the while remaining a child. Wendy loses her childhood while peter pan can remain forever young no matter what he does. It’s totally ani-feminism It’s also a cautionary tale, and full of dips. Tinker bell dies, the nanny (dog nanny) dies, Wendy grows old, and watches her daughter fall for peter knowing that he will break her heart. It’s my favorite book from when I was a kid. There is nothing cynical about it, no surprise ending, no pop culture references, and there are pirates. How can you not love a book that has pirates? I am glad none of the movies capture the book totally. It’s about 4 bucks, and takes an afternoon to read. It’s something I consider to be the authoritative book on childhoods. This was a really good weekend. Perfection is a night of dancing that has you discovering the joy of hanging in a pack. Kin, Conc, and yours truly went to splash. A shameless dance bar that charges you 20 bucks to enter, and then feels okay with 7 bucks for a beer. Somehow I was handed vodka, and I then became a teenage school girl. Vodka, and red bull in fact. Which is messed up, cause your drunk, and wired. Of course, previous to this I was with Conc in some French fusion restaurant sipping blue things (you have to request water, otherwise they just give you alcohol). But it was fun. Deep talks between Conc and Kin ensued as I kissed a brooding New Jersey in-habitant. But at the end of the night Kin and I met a man from boston. We headed back to Kin’s place (ultra cool e-village pad). Talked a bit, Conc and I headed home, and spent the night snuggled up in his bed, while kin spent the night with our stranger. Sunday, was fun too…until I fucked up because I listened to my little friend mr. Penis. I don’t want to go into it. But it was foolish. Other than that…My current thoughts are about a family mystery. My grandmother and grand father took in a young gay man when my father was younger. The boy had been thrown out of his house and my grandparents took him in while he went to school. He eventually went on to do lighting on broadway. If he survived aids, and is still alive he would be 60…and most assuredly interesting to talk to. But where does one start? And why didn’t I know this sooner?! Mysteries are fun Who are all those people?

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Learn more about 100 Bloggers.